CPP Internship Opportunities-
Science Communication- Academic Research
Office of the Scientific Director
Mass General Research Institute
Massachusetts General Hospital
Mission: The Mass General Research Institute was created in 2014 to
promote, support, and guide the hospital’s diverse research enterprise. The largest hospital-based
research community in the United States, the Research Institute comprises over 8,000 people working
across more than 30 institutes, centers, and departments. The Office of the Scientific Director is tasked
with promotion of research with an emphasis on facilitating collaborations among our investigators
internally, and engaging philanthropic, industry and venture capital audiences externally.
A crucial component of promotion is communications and marketing of Mass General research both
internally and externally.
Overall Goal: Working closely with the Research Institute marketing and communications team, the intern will engage with scientists in all stages of work from fundamental research to clinical research. Specific tasks will include: interview investigators, assist in drafting and editing print content, website content and other written materials, and develop online outreach and promotion using social media.
Specific learning goals:
- Acquire first-hand knowledge and experience with science communications.
- Experience the problems and successes of effectively communicating within a
- Create impactful, exciting content for the Research Institute.
Note: Project details may change based on the needs of the collaborating office.
- Develop social media posts for the Research Institute (instagram, twitter,
- Interview an investigator to write a formal piece for posting.
- Write bi-weekly blog post about the experience and what the intern is learning.
- Work with the team on developing programs for “Communicating Science” initiative.
- 6 hours/week for 12 weeks.
- The intern will work under the direction of Alison Hoffnagle, Senior Program
- This opportunity is unpaid.
back to top ^
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.